Labor Notes National Call: Stand with the UAW!
Event at a Glance
Photo: Jim West / jimwestphoto.com
The United Auto Workers have launched a major strike at select plants of all the Big 3 automakers. Some 13,000 auto workers are on strike in Ohio, Michigan, and Missouri. The UAW is expected to announce more strike targets on Friday, September 22, turning up the heat on the companies.
The members’ demands include:
- Eliminating tiers on wages and benefits, plus double-digit raises for all
- Restoring cost-of-living adjustments, which were suspended during the Great Recession
- Restoring the defined-benefit pension and retiree health care for all; workers hired since 2007 have neither
- Increasing pensions for current retirees; there’s been no increase since 2003
- The right to strike over plant closures
- Making all current temps permanent employees, with strict limits on the future use of temps
- Increasing paid time off
Labor Notes is covering this rapidly developing strike in depth, with multiple reporters out on the picket lines. Unlike the mainstream media, our coverage doesn't feature CEOs or their apologists. We're focused on workers' creativity and insights, and we're building on decades of coverage of auto worker organizing and the bottom-up union reform movement that has made this moment possible.
Now, we are turning to hosting a national call via Zoom to hear reports from rank-and-file UAW members massing on picket lines and taking creative actions to win their bold demands.
When: Saturday, September 23, 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern Time/ 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. Pacific
Where: Online, via Zoom
We have a packed agenda, so we will start right on time!
- Jane Slaughter, Labor Notes
- LaShawn English, Region 1 Director, Michigan
- Scott Houldieson, Local 551, Illinois, UAWD
- Megan Fagan, Local 12, Ohio
- Sysco Garza, Local 12, Ohio
- Shana Shaw, Local 2250, Missouri
- Mary Ost, Local 897, New York
- Audrey Bell, Local 900, Michigan
- Chris Budnick, Local 862, Kentucky
- James White, Local 862, Kentucky
- Marcelina Pedraza, Local 551, Illinois
Facilitator: Lisa Xu, Labor Notes
Registration is FREE. To sign up, click "add to cart" below, and follow checkout instructions in the cart.
Accessibility: Automatic captions will be turned on in Zoom. A slideshow will be presented using Zoom's "screen-sharing" feature. If you need the slides emailed to you in advance—for instance, if you are blind or low-vision and use a screen reader—please email joe[at]labornotes[dot]org right away and let us know any specifics about the format you need. Please feel free to reach out with other accessibility needs or questions as well.
Can't make it, or want to share with a friend? Good news—this webinar will be recorded and the video will be made available afterwards through Labor Notes' social media channels.