Beating Back Bullying Bosses: An Online Workshop
Event at a Glance
THIS WORKSHOP IS AT CAPACITY, AND REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR OTHER EVENTS ON OUR EVENTS PAGE.
Bullying bosses can turn our daily work lives into nightmares. Whether you have a boss who's a toxic micro-manager, who shouts and demeans, who's erratic and unpredictable, who is divisive and sets co-workers up against each other, or who is sexist or racist... these are indignities that are wrong and should be challenged. But how?
In this workshop we will learn about how these bullies abuse power, but we'll focus on how we can uplift attitudes, skills, and strategies to fight back. You will be able to go back into your own workplace with more clarity, confidence, and plans for taking effective action with your co-workers.
The workshop will be held on Tuesday, November 16th, at 8 PM Eastern/ 7 PM Central/ 6 PM Mountain/ 5 PM Pacific. It will run for two hours.
Registration is $10. We are also offering a registration plus a HALF-PRICE subscription to Labor Notes magazine for $25. No one will be turned away for lack of funds. (Subscription offer valid only for U.S. addresses. Click here to purchase an international subscription.)
The workshop will be facilitated by Labor Notes board member and longtime organizer Ellen David Friedman.
We'll explore these questions:
- What is the source of your boss's power?
- How do they bully? Who do they bully? What are their goals in bullying?
- What are the limitations on their bullying? Who are their bosses?
- Are your co-workers also bullied? Have you talked with them about it? Are they motivated to make something change?
- What have you, or anyone else, ever done to try and resist the bullying? What happened?
- Do you believe the situation can change? Do your co-workers? Are your co-workers scared, passive, cynical, or "too busy" to do anything?
- Are you willing to dig in, be patient, set a goal, and organize to achieve it? (If so... this workshop is definitely for you!)
Email joe[at]labornotes[dot]org with any questions.